Sunday, December 4, 2011

Koexistieren (German)




So yesterday, December 3rd, 2011, I went to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Wow, what an amazing experience. It chronicled the events of the Holocaust and the aftermath. What I found most amazing,  was a wall. On this wall, it listed the names of people who rescued Jews during the Holocaust. These people were heroes because they were just being human. They cared for the safety of the human race. This got me thinking more about my next post. The 1930's and 40's were a time where few coexisted very well. The Germans were looking for someone to blame for their recession, and Adolph Hitler fed on their anger. He had a dislike for anyone that was different. Hate was taught in schools, in movies and on the radio.

The mind of youth is impressionable and they will do what they are told by adults. In grade schools, they tech kids to hate, even now.  According to motivational speaker, Michael Fowlin (http://www.michaelfowlin.com/booking.htm), they teach kids to x out the things that don't belong. This teaches the kids to x out the things in real life that don't belong.

Is There A Solution? 
 Yes, there is a solution tot this problem. TEACH ACCEPTANCE! 
Instead of telling kids to x things out, have them put a heart around it. Instead of letting kids gang up on one another, teach them to get along. Same with parents. Don't teach your kids to bully. Be a good role model for them. This is just one way to coexist in the modern way.


Here is a poem that inspired me while I was bullied as a kid. Even though I was being tormented by students and teachers alike, I was still there, keeping strong.
Still Here
Langston Hughes
I been scarred and battered
My hopes the wind done scattered
Snow has friz me
Sun has baked me
Looks like between 'em
they done tried to make me
Stop laughin'
stop lovin'
stop livin'
But I don't care
I'm still here

2 comments:

  1. This is really an eye opening idea. I love the notion of putting a heart around the one that doesn't belong or at least circling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is clear to me that the subject of this blog means a lot to you since you clearly put effort into the background (as one of your commenters pointed out), the playlist, and the choice of videos. I also particularly like the quote from Gandhi and the poem by Langston Hughes since I think both men were particularly interested in "standing up" in order to teach other how to co-exist.

    ReplyDelete